Monastery of Santa Maria
Gerri de la Sal
Monastery of Santa Maria de Gerri de la Sal
Some historians locate the origin of Gerri already in Roman time, moment in which the salinas already were exploited. Nevertheless, the first documentary references that illustrate the existence of a salt mine date from the 9th century, when the presbyter Espanell founded the monastery of Gerri, on June 20, 807, originally dedicated to Sant Vicenç, and with the Time, thanks to donations and purchases, becomes one of the main possessors. In fact, several authors attributed the location to Gerri of this monastery Benedicto to the presence of the salt water spring. The present building of Santa Maria, consecrated 25 of September of 1149, was constructed according to the habitual schemes of the monastic buildings alto-medieval, everything and that the founding building would be located in a small church of Visigothic origin not very far from the present building , Archaeologically documented. It was one of the richest monasteries of the Bisbat d'Urgell, and its salty and saline salt, a primordial element in medieval times, stands out among its vast and unspoilt heritage. During the modern age the abbots of the monastery of Santa Maria continued having between their own saline possessions. With the decadence of the monastery and the confiscations of the first half of the nineteenth century, the loss of its territorial domain also affected the salt warehouses. Its history ended with the exclaustration of 1835, which entailed the disintegration of the community that resided there and its assets. From the year 1970 the town of Gerri de la Sal and the monastery of Santa Maria de Gerri are declared a picturesque place, it will not be until 1995 that the file of reclassification as Cultural Property of National Interest is included with the category of historical group And historical monument, respectively.
How to get there: On the N-260, just in front of the village of Gerri (Free public parking)
25560 Gerri de la Sal (Baix Pallars)